How Ayurveda Can Help Acne
Treat acne and achieve healthy skin by following the holistic philosophy of Ayurveda..
People continue to turn to more drastic medical treatments to prevent and treat acne. However, a worthwhile alternative is to follow the holistic philosophy of Ayurveda. Cosmeceuticals which include Ayurvedic natural botanicals prove effective in targeting acne without the harsh side effects of many medical treatments.
Why does acne occur?
Acne is the result of excessive secretions of sebum from the sebaceous glands which lead to blockage of the sebaceous ducts. Bacteria, even those naturally present in the skin, colonise at the site of sebum accumulation which results in the inflammation we know as acne. Therefore, acne sufferers can usually be identified as having oily or combination skin. This is in keeping with the kapha dosha, which is epitomised by a combination of earth and water qualities. These are identified as oily, thick, heavy, and slow.
How can Ayurvedic botanicals help acne?
The Ayurvedic treatment of acne is particularly effective when the oil derived from the roots of the Coleus forskohlli plant is used. This is a plant in the mint and lavender family, is native to India, and is used in Ayurvedic medicine topically and orally. The active ingredient within the extracted oil is known as Forskolin and has potent anti-microbial properties. Studies have found it inhibits the growth of the skin pathogens commonly present with acne.
How can kapha dosha be balanced?
Now that we understand the association between acne and the kapha dosha, we can look at how to balance kapha so it is no longer aggravated and causing conditions like acne. Because of kapha’s predominant qualities, to balance kapha there should be a focus on stimulation and inviting a livelier constitution. These simple tips can help:
- Perform daily endurance-focused exercise for improved circulation
- Avoid napping
- Avoid the damp
- Seek stimulating aromas like cloves, cinnamon and eucalyptus
- Daily warm oil massage with zithila Multi Oil for improved circulation
- Cleanse skin twice a day with vimala Gentle Cleanser with willow bark extract acting as an anti-bacterial
- Gently exfoliate skin once a week with samskrta Skin Polish to refresh the skin and receive the benefits of potent antioxidants
- Apply clearing serum to directly target acne
What role does diet play in helping acne?
An appropriate diet will spark digestive and metabolic systems to balance kapha. Follow these guidelines to improve acne through nutrition:
- Avoid oily and sweet foods
- Drink plenty of water to cleanse from within
- Reduce dairy intake
- Use pungent spices freely, such as ginger, pepper and mustard seed
- Favour white meats over red if non-vegetarian
- Eat your largest meal at lunchtime
For more help treating acne with Ayurveda, visit https://www.awecosmeceuticals.com.au/