According to Ayurvedic belief, the eyes are one of the most important organs in the body. As well as being thought of spiritually as the windows to the soul, they are a key tool of communication and social connection. Unfortunately, the eyes are generally only attended to if there is an issue with them.
Maharishi Ayurveda advocates preventing health issues before they arise. This is particularly important for the eyes as they are so sensitive. You can keep your eyes bright and clear by eating, drinking, sleeping, and exercising appropriately, as well as using targeted eye treatments.
Ayurveda tells us that imbalances in the doshas affect the eyes in different ways:
An increase in kapha causes puffy or dull eyes. This can indicate issues with water retention or slow digestion. Ensure you drink plenty of water to flush your system and refrain from sleeping during the day.
A disturbance in the pitta dosha is evident if your eyes are bloodshot or feel tense. This is generally triggered by fatigue or exposure to pollution. To soothe the eyes, place slices of cucumber on the eyes for 20-30 minutes while lying down.
A disturbance in the vata dosha is evident if your eyes are irritated when you first wake or you have persistent dark circles under the eyes. These effects can be triggered by poor circulation and not eating enough fresh food. To lessen irritation, splash the eyes and face with lukewarm water 10-15 times upon waking. Alternatively, rub your palms together for 30 seconds and place them gently over closed eyes, as often as you can.
Protect the eyes with Ayurveda
- Regular practice of these simple methods will give your eyes a natural sparkle:
- Practise yoga asanas to improve circulation and relax the eyes
- Eat sweet juicy fruits like papaya
- Drink herbal tea
- Establish a sleep routine which sees you going to bed earlier and waking no later than sunrise
- Reduce stress or learn to respond to stressors more calmly
- Dip cotton pads in organic rose water or milk and then place over closed eyes for several minutes, daily
- Apply Jiva Eye Concentrate+ to reduce dark circles and puffiness with Indian Frankincense and Shea Butter. Jiva provides intense hydration, smoothing and brightening effects thanks to powerful actives which reduce the signs of ageing that so commonly affect the eyes.
Habits that hinder the eyes
Avoid these common habits which cause irritation to the eyes:
- Reading and writing in inadequate lighting
- Staying up late at night
- An inadequate amount of sleep
- Exposing the eyes to bright sunlight
- Staring for too long, particularly at computer screens
- Washing your face when it is sweating
For more help bringing the sparkle back to your eyes, visit https://www.awecosmeceuticals.com.au/