Skin Stocktake Time
Here's our simple guide to re-assessing your skin.
What better time, than early in the new year to take a moment, assess your skin; where you feel it’s at, at the moment, where you want it to be and how to quickly and easily get it there? Sound daunting? It’s really not and we are here to help with our simple guide to re-assessing your skin.
Simple Steps To Assess Your Skin…
1. Your skin type: consider the feel and texture of your skin.
- When you wake up in the morning, how does your skin feel/look?
- Is it oily, dry, normal or a combination of these?
- But what about sensitive skin we hear you say? Well, sensitivity can rear its ugly head with any skin type but is generally more popular with dry skin types.
Morning skin type test: If you blot a tissue on your forehead before cleansing in the morning, do you get oily residue on your tissue? Oily transfer, means just that, oily skin and no transfer means you tend to be more dry in skin type.
Did you determine your skin as Oily, Dry, Normal or Combination?
2. Your skin complexion: consider the look of your skin.
- Do you have fair skin that burns easily or light to medium that may burn?
- Or do you have a medium tone that usually tans or a darker complexion that only rarely burns?
- Or is your complexion so dark that you never burn?
Did you determine your complexion as Fair, Light-Medium, Medium-Tan or Dark?
3. Your skin concerns:
- Do you have concerns about premature ageing of your skin?
- Do you have a sensitive skin problem, such as persistent adult acne, pigmentation or age spots, or conditions such as eczema or rosacea?
- Do you have large pores, sun damage, facial wrinkles or fine lines that require special attention?
- Finally, do you have eye puffiness or under-eye bags that may require special care?
What are your skin concerns?
4. Your personal habits/environment:
Your personal habits should not be underestimated as they really can have a large impact on your skin health.
- Do you take a daily vitamin?
- Are you a smoker?
- Do you drink plenty of water each day?
- Do you eat a well-balanced diet?
- What is your daily (eg work) environment like? Do you work in hot or cold conditions etc?
- Do you adhere to a regular skincare regime or go on a hunch as to how your skin feels at that moment?
- Do you spend a lot of time in the sun?
- Finally, if you could only reach for only ONE skincare product right now, what would it be? Moisturiser, cleanser, exfoliator/scrub or other?
How does your lifestyle effect your skin?
5. Your skincare goals
List down your top 3 skin care goals for the next 3 months?
Do you want smoother skin? Do you want to commit to a weekly facial mask?
All these factors will affect how you should care for your skin. With this information, you can more accurately wade through the myriad of skin care products to find the ones suited to your specific skin type or concern.
The most important thing to remember when deciding on your skin care product is to trust yourself. No one knows your skin better than you!
Note: this information serves as a guide only. Be sure to check with your beauty therapist or other skincare physician if you encounter specific skin difficulties.
Simple Solutions For Your Skin
Now that you’ve gained a better understanding of your skin, below are a few easy-to-follow daily programs to make the most of your skin, catered to your individual skin type.
OILY SKIN, PRONE TO ACNE + FLARE-UPS
Oily skin requires the natural build-up of excess oils to be removed, meaning this skin type requires the most stringent cleansing regimen. This cleansing plan can also include use of a facial polish or scrub to help remove the build-up to which the oils adhere. Don’t ignore moisture as ‘good oils’ for the skin need to be replaced to achieve balance, but best opt for light, mattifying and quickly absorbed option. Even if you don’t feel it working, it will be!
The 1.2.3. to oily + acne prone skin
The result? A smooth, clear and matte complexion.
DRY, DAMAGED + AGEING SKIN
Whilst all skin needs moisture for balance, dry skin needs the most, often along with the most gentle of products, to prevent sensitivities from flaring up. Opt for a gentle cleanser and a richly nourishing moisturiser, serum or skin oil. Hydration is key to encourage plump, nourished skin and active anti-oxidants are essential to deliver potent anti-ageing benefits where needed.
The 1.2.3. to dry, damaged + ageing skin
The result? A smooth, hydrated, bright + youthful complexion.
COMBINATION + NORMAL SKIN
Understandably, a mix of both oily + dry skin, this common skin type requires adequate cleansing together with deep nourishment in other skin areas to achieve its overall balance. Choose a light daily moisturiser and treat yourself to the occasional mask to replenish those drier areas.
The 1.2.3. for combination + normal skin:
The result? Balanced, glowing skin.
SENSITIVE + DELICATE SKIN
Sensitive skin also applies to skin that is undergoing change, whether it be due to a topical medical treatment, change in hormones, vitamins or medication. The weather can also play a part in transition our skin from dry to oily and vice versa. Whilst it can be hard to predict when this may happen, the imbalance is often instantaneous and needs to be balanced fast!
The 1.2.3. for sensitive skin:
The result? A soothed, calm + balanced complexion.
PIGMENTATION, BLOTCHY + SCARRED SKIN
Skin suffering discolouration such as freckles, sun spots, scarring or hyperpigmentation can benefit from formulation rich in peptides and lightening, brightening actives such as Vitamin B.
The 1.2.3. for pigmented skin:
The result? A complexion that appears balanced and cohesive in appearance.
Click here for more information on all products.
REMEMBER: Always choose safe beauty by reviewing the ingredients and avoiding anything with parabens, phthalates, sulfates, petrochemicals, formaldehyde releasers, mineral oils or synthetic colours or fragrances. And rest assured, that ALL AWE COSMECEUTICALS PRODUCTS ARE MADE SAFELY AND WITH YOU AND YOUR SKIN HEALTH IN MIND.